The Silver&Fit® program is making the existing at-home fitness programs, plus two new at-home fitness program options, available to help members exercise and stay fit during the COVID-19 crisis. Our world has been turned upside down by this crisis and most Medicare members are being advised to shelter at home. Many fitness centers have been closed by government edict or have decided to close themselves. Since the Silver&Fit program has a broad range of at-home fitness options, we’d like to remind members who participate in the fitness facilities program of these at-home options, and make additional options available to them, to promote exercise in or near their homes during the current crisis.
We are supplementing the Silver&Fit program with two program options, available April 1, 2020, to help members continue to achieve the health benefits of exercise during the COVID-19 crisis. These options are being offered at no charge to participating members in the Silver&Fit program and at no additional charge during this period (through June 30, 2020). These options include:
1) Silver&Fit Signature Series Classes® Exercise Videos
Silver&Fit is offering online access to Silver&Fit Signature Series Exercise Videos on SilverandFit.com as a permanent addition to the website. These are the same Silver&Fit exercise classes currently offered at select Silver&Fit Fitness Centers. These classes are also offered in a DVD format to members and were uniquely designed to support the needs of our Medicare members. The exercise videos focus on the following ability levels:
- Explore – specifically designed for non-active older adults who have no prior experience with exercise or exercise programs.
- Experience – designed for moderately active older adults who experience some form of exercise 1 to 2 days per week.
- Excel – designed for very active older adults who experience regular exercise 3 or more days per week.
2) Silver&Fit Wireless Fitness Devices:
Every Silver&Fit member that has utilized a fitness center in 2019 and through February 2020 can choose either a Fitbit® Inspire™ or a Garmin® VivoFit® 4 wearable fitness device at no cost including shipping. Or, if you prefer, you can purchase another wearable fitness device by accessing Fitbit.com or Garmin.com, and will receive a $50 credit for their purchase. This offer is available for a limited period (ending June 30, 2020) as a means to support healthy exercise behaviors during the COVID-19 crisis.
Medicare Advantage Plans with Fitness Benefits
GlobalHealth includes a fitness benefit in all Generations Medicare Advantage plans at no cost to the member through Silver&Fit®.
What benefits are included?
Silver&Fit provides these members with a broad, next generation fitness program that gives members the choice of a fitness center membership from one of more than 14,000 participating fitness centers, from over 30 different home fitness kits, or wearable wireless fitness devices, mobile applications, and exercise equipment through Silver&Fit Connected!.
Silver&Fit’s proprietary Connected! Program tracks exercise and activity through 250+ wearable wireless fitness devices, mobile applications, and exercise equipment, as well as fitness center workouts. Effective January 1, 2020, the Apple Watch will be added to our growing list of connected devices, apps, and equipment. Results are converted into points and members are acknowledged by the Silver&Fit Rewards Program. In addition, Silver&Fit provides access to healthy aging classes, award-winning newsletters, SilverandFit.com, and other services.
Fitness Center Membership
- Members receive fitness center membership at no cost.
- Fitness center options will include more than 14,000 participating fitness centers across the United States. Available fitness center types include full centers, basic coed centers, YMCAs, gender-specific centers, and exercise centers.
- Fitness advisors at Silver&Fit-contracted centers will meet with the Silver&Fit members to introduce them to the fitness center and assist them with enrolling at the fitness center.
- Members may register for and use more than one fitness center or instructor led class program in a given month.
- Fitness club memberships include access to cardiovascular equipment; free weights; resistance training equipment; group exercise classes; and, where available, amenities such as saunas, steam rooms, and whirlpools. Exercise center memberships offer access to the standard services offered by the exercise center such as dance, Pilates, yoga, and/or other classes.
- Each Silver&Fit fitness center will provide access to a fitness center employee who will act as the Silver&Fit fitness advisor at the fitness center. The Silver&Fit fitness advisor will meet with Silver&Fit members to introduce them to the fitness center and assist them with enrolling.
Home Fitness Kits
- Silver&Fit home fitness kits can be used by members who may prefer to exercise at home or while traveling, instead of signing up for a fitness center membership. Members can select up to two home fitness kits per year. There are no geographic limitations or requirements for use of the home fitness kits. Silver&Fit offers a broad range of home fitness kits. Examples of the more than 30 fitness kits offered are:
- Aquatic Exercise
- Chair Aerobics for Everyone
- High Intensity Bootcamp
- Total Body Workout
- Upper and Lower Body Workouts
- During enrollment, the member will be able to choose to receive up to two kits at no cost.
- An online data aggregator tracks members’ fitness center visits, exercise, and other independent activity data collected by one of 250+ wearable wireless fitness devices, mobile applications, and exercise equipment. All activity collected through Connected! is standardized and converted to points, which can be used towards rewards at no additional cost to the plan. Examples include:
- BeWell Connect
- Garman Edge
- Life Fitness Elevation Discover SE and SI FlexStrider
- Polar Beat
- Withings Pulse Activity Tracker
- Starting in 2020, Apple Watch will also be supported.
Access to SilverandFit.com
- Members receive access to a comprehensive, full-service, user-friendly website that meets accessibility standards for older adults. Website components include, but are not limited to:
- Member registration and enrollment for the Silver&Fit Program
- Directory, maps, and locators for fitness center network
- Virtual “streaming” fitness videos, which allow members to participate in a fitness class or perform fitness exercises (available January 1, 2020)
- National directory of thousands of social clubs, providing information about both fitness-oriented and non-fitness-oriented clubs (available in 2020)
- Responsive design, allowing members to use our website on their PC, as well as handheld devices including smart phones and tablets
Mobile App (available in 2020)
- The member will have access to the Silver&Fit mobile app, which will provide easy, convenient access to virtual “streaming” fitness videos, a social club directory, the Silver&Fit Connected! Program, an enhanced fitness center search and profiles feature, senior signature classes, and healthy aging classes.
Silver&Fit Healthy Aging Coaching and Online Resources
- The Silver&Fit Healthy Aging Coaching Program was designed to assist older adults with weight management, stress management, sleep hygiene, nutrition, fitness, avoiding social isolation, and other topics using various coaching tools including:
- Live coaching from trained health coaches
- Online health literate, evidence-based information (articles, videos, classes)
- Quarterly healthy aging classes and content
- Connected! activity monitoring supports coaching encounters
Healthy Aging Education Program
- All members enrolled in Silver&Fit will have access to 48 healthy aging education classes, which can be viewed on the Silver&Fit website or delivered to the member by mail.
- All members enrolled in Silver&Fit will have access to the quarterly Silver&Fit newsletter, The Silver Slate®, which is distributed via the Silver&Fit website, by email, or by mail. The Silver&Fit newsletter is geared towards older adults and includes articles on nutrition, exercise, weight management, and taking better care of oneself.
- Members eligible for the Silver&Fit Exercise & Healthy Aging Program may request the Healthy Aging Education Program by mail. If provided by mail, the member receives a DVD and workbook with 12 courses each quarter. The Healthy Aging Program will be available on the Silver&Fit mobile app in 2020.